Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Definitely a Great Help!

Thanks everyone for sharing their ideas about their ways of doing laundry. My sweet husband reminded me that our system is that HE HELPS!! Am I lucky or what? :) I didn't realize this was our system but this is how it seems to be working for us lately. We have baskets lining the laundry room, whites, lights, darks, and towels so they're all ready separated. I start the washer most of the time and he will put them in the dryer and take them out when they're dry and then lay them on the couch. He lays out every thing that needs to be hung up in a pile and folds everything that needs folding, I come behind him and put hangers in the hang up pile and put all the clothes away. He informed me sweetly that he has the hardest time actually hanging up the clothes and putting them away where as for me it's the opposite! I hate to fold them but I don't mind putting them away! He also folds all of the socks because if it were up to me they'd all just be in bucket!! I'd probably have one bucket per person but they wouldn't be matched, when you own all the same kind, style, color, and size of a sock it seems kind of pointless to me to match them. :)

My Grandma in TN, a nurse and mother of 3 boys, sent me an email that really made me grateful for the way we do laundry, just thought I'd share it with you:

"When your Dad was little, Brad 18 months behind, doing clothes was awful. I worked over 50 hours a week in surgery and was on call one evening plus weekend call each week. My washer was always in a dark, damp basement. I had to fill the washer with a hose, sort and put in clothes then time it to wash. While it was washing, I filled two tubs of rinse water. I had to put the clothes through a wringer (and becareful not to catch fingers) from the washer into the first rinse. I would stir it around in there then send it through the wringer into the second tub of water. Next it was time to wring it out and take it outside or on lines in the basement and hang it up. Grandpa didn't like for the boys to wear teeshirts so all of their shirts were little cotton ones with collars. I had to make starch, dip, wring and hang all of them.....and there was a lot. After it dried, I had to "sprinkle down" all of the starch pieces, roll them individually and put them into a basket In about 12 hours, the water was all even through them and it was time to iron them. By then I was back at work and sometimes they mildewed and I had to start all over. I ironed each little shirt and pairs of pants, pillow cases, tablechothes as well as mine and Dannnie's stuff. Everything was cotton and there was no "Downey " to make them soft and easier to iron. It was the same when I was pregnant for Brad............the clothes was just a little bigger. I think I got an automatic washer and a dryer when we moved to North Carolina.....Your Dad was starting the first grade. I only wish I could have had it sooo much sooner."

Thanks Grandma for reminding me how lucky and blessed I am to have a washing machine AND a dryer! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, just reading your Grandma's description made me tired. Poor woman. We really are blessed with our modern conveniences!

    ReplyDelete