Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cannisters Cannisters and MORE Cannisters....




Time for a "useful" post. Here's an idea I came up with last year that has totally helped me in so many ways!! We were building our food storage and had bought several containers of oatmeal to pour into 5 gallon buckets so that they would stay good longer. I kept looking at the mound of containers that we were going to be throwing away and wondering if there was some other use for them and here's what I came up with.
We live in a duplex with a very small kitchen. There's not a whole lot of cupboard space and we had to buy a cabinet to use as our pantry. Finding space for all the food has not been an easy task but with these cannisters it has been a whole lot easier! I have one for almost everything! :) I have one for each of the basics, flour, sugar, brown sugar, oatmeal, and rice. Then I have random things too, pasta, nuts, chocolate chips, pretzels, fruit snacks, ect.... When I do it again I will probably leave the brown sugar in its bag when I put it in the container. I've been emptying everything straight into the cannister and it's worked great except for Brown sugar and pretzels. The brown sugar gets a little clumpy and drier than I'd like and the pretzels were stale (of course it may have been the fact that we don't eat pretzels very often.) I keep separate bags of chocolate chips and nuts and anything else where there's an assortment of things in it.
To cover the cannisters to make them match my kitchen I bought a "big stack" of scrapbook paper from hobby lobby, that way the paper all ready had sort of a theme going on. I measured the paper against the cannisters, cut it, covered it with clear contact paper, and hot glued it to the container. I printed the labels from my computer and matted them on some matching paper. You'll need some super sticky double sided tape to apply it, the hot glue was a little messy on the front of the cannister.
I love my cannisters but I can't wait to get into a new house because I have other ideas for when I do them over again! :)
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment