Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Improvement #4:


I agree with my little girl here, the thought of laundry makes me tired. :(  
BUT  I have improved from 3 years ago, even with adding another kid into the mix!!  Here's what works for us:
If it's not dirty don't wash it!  
I know that sounds like a "duh!" but when you have 4 kids it makes all the difference.  Unless they've been rolling in the mud MOST of the time the boys jeans can be worn a couple of times before I wash them. PJ's can be worn multiple nights in a row (unless someone pees the bed or spill oatmeal on them in the morning....)  And most of all KEEP THE KIDS OUT OF THE CLOTHES!  I can't stand it when they change clothes all day long!  They have plenty of dress ups to cure this need to change clothes.

Don't Over Do It!
With four kids it's very easy to be overwhelmed with LOTS of clothes.  We have so many wonderful people in our lives that fill our dressers with cute new clothes, hand-me-downs, and "things I just picked up".  We are so grateful for their thoughtfulness!  However, what there's lots of love like this there could be lots of piles of clothes (and in our case mostly not dirty!).  So in our house we try to only keep out enough outfits for 10 days and 2 pairs of church clothes for everyone.  Each kids typically has 3 pairs of shoes, one for church, one tennis shoe, and one sandal/flip-flop.  This method has worked amazingly well!!!  The hardest part is deciding which cute clothes to keep out at the time.  Just remember to rotate your clothes or donate them to your favorite thrift store/charity.

Fold it right out of the dryer.
My poor hubby is such a good sport.  He hates to have wrinkled clothes so as soon as they come out of the dryer and typically get moved to the couch he lays them neatly in a flat pile to be hung up.  When he has time he folds and hangs them up too.  I've tried to get in the habit of folding right out of the dryer but sometimes things get in the way...

Movie Night!
A lot of the time I spend just one day and wash the clothes all in one day (and then declare that we are never wearing clothes ever again!).  I don't get to watch movies by myself very often so I'll put the kids to bed and watch a movie while I fold the clothes.  I love to watch movies while my hands are busy.

MY VERY FAVORITE METHOD!
This is my VERY favorite way to fold clothes.  LET THE KIDS DO IT!  My 5 and 4 year old boys are really good at putting the clothes on hangers.  They put away all their own laundry which for some reason is my least favorite thing.   For the towels I have a game that for every towel/rag they fold they get a penny!  ooooooh they love it, even my 3 year old can do this!

I will post more about this next week but for today I'll just say that I'm a HUGE fan of having the kids help with the cleaning!  After all, it's mostly their mess!  One night I stood in my kitchen and could see the dining room, living Room, office, and playroom from where I stood....all I could see was a cluttered mess.  It wasn't the worst it's ever been but at 10 o'clock at night when I'm exhausted it was worse than I was willing to tackle.  It probably would have taken me about 30 minutes to clean up by myself but I just couldn't bring my self to do it.
Then a beautiful thought came to my mind, "let the kids do it!"  We had already been working on this with the kids (and I'll explain HOW later...ooo....intregue!) so I went to bed and would let them do it in the morning.  The next morning clean up still took 30 minutes but I didn't have to do it!!  As any mom will tell you, that's HUGE! :)  I was able to do the other things I needed to get done and still have a clean house.

Have a great day!
Keep it simple :)

No comments:

Post a Comment