Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The ULTIMATE Sanity Saver....peace and comfort

Nights around here are challenging to say the least.  Most of the time I do bedtime by myself and I never look forward to it.  I get so overwhelmed and tired with life by about 6:00 I can't help but count down the minutes till 7:00 when the kids can go to bed.  It used to be so easy! I would do our little routine and put them in bed and within about 15 minutes they would finally be asleep.  

Last night was not unlike most nights around here lately.  We started bed time routine at 7:00 and theoretically they should be asleep BY 8:00, right?  WRONG!  9:30 came and there were still 3 children awake!  I heard everything from, "I just need a hug" to "I need to go potty" (4 or 5 times!).   By the time they finally fell asleep I was so exhausted and drained in every kind of way.  I sat down with a spoon and some cookie dough (yes, my dear dear friend brought a sweet gift!) not even thinking about my attempt to be off sugar-sorry Crystal, and began to write in my journal.  This is not normally my solution, well the cookie dough maybe but the journal no.  

I began to make a list of all my struggles for the day.  Everything from kids being difficult, to missing my sweet hubby, to being extremely PMSed (which is probably the root of ALL of this problem!) The list was growing and I didn't like what I was focusing on but I felt like it was very important to write down my heartache.  After making this list I made another page and titled it "Accomplishments for the Day".  This was a little more challenging but I wrote things like: did dishes and cleaned the kitchen! (3x's).  Made meals for the family.  Didn't strangle my children.  The list was a decent length and it made me feel slightly better.  

The real difference came with the next page.  At the top I wrote, "Tender Mercies".  In my religion class last semester we studied the scriptures looking for tender mercies on every page.  I LOVE looking for tender mercies in my life because 1) they are such a good reminder that my Father in Heaven loves ME.  And 2) they help me look for the good.  My list began to rapidly grow.  I had forgotten how many ways I had seen the hand of the Lord during just that day.  After I finished this list I was no longer angry or exhausted, but filled with pure gratitude and a resolve to do better.  A quote from our dear prophet President Thomas S. Monson rang in my ears, (quoting  
Ralph Waldo Emerson
) "
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow."  With the Lord's help I could have courage to try again tomorrow.

Try again I did!  I made a list of promptings from the Spirit on how I could do better. I moved the TV into a closet and replaced it with a beautiful picture of our Savior Jesus Christ.  I deleted the bookmarks on the computer where the kids find their favorite shows.  I made a plan to get up before the kids to pray and read my scriptures and put on my spiritual armor before the battle with the children began.  So far the day is good, not perfect, but I have a different attitude.  

I was glancing at pinterest this morning and I found this talk from 1997 by an Apostle in our church on motherhood.  Oh if I ever needed comfort  and advice on this topic this was the time.  This talk will be a cherished jewel in my hope chest of loving words. (and who said pinterest was a waste of time?! pshhh)   I LOVE this so much. Everyone with children should watch this, ESPECIALLY young mothers!  Enjoy! :)



PS. What are some ways you have seen "tender mercies" today?  Leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment